Individuals who suffer physical harm through intentional, reckless, or careless actions of another may have a legal claim for personal injury. If the personal injury results in wrongful death, the family of the deceased may also be entitled to file a claim for damages.
If you have suffered personal injuries, which you believe are due to the fault of another, or if you have lost a loved one as a result of personal injuries, it is important to seek out an experienced attorney to help you through this difficult time. The attorneys at Burg Simpson are experienced in handling complex personal injury and wrongful death cases.
Personal injuries or wrongful death can be caused by numerous situations:
- Automobile, motorcycle, or truck collisions
If you were involved in an automobile collision and suffered physical injuries, you may have a claim against the other driver, or if you were a passenger, you may have a claim against either or both drivers.
But motor vehicle claims are not always limited to drivers of the vehicles. For example, if the claim involves a driver who was within the scope of employment, such as a truck driver or a sales person, you may have a legal claim against the employer. Or if the poor roadway maintenance caused the collision, you may have claims against the government or the responsible contractor. Often highway collisions result from defects in the vehicle itself. In these cases you may have a products liability claim, which is described more fully below.
- Products liability claims
“Products liability” refers to personal injury cases that arise from defects in any type of consumer or commercial product. Examples of products range from pharmaceuticals and medical devices, to vehicles, to food, to tools, to smoke detectors, to farm equipment. Unlike simple negligence claims, claims based upon products liability do not require proof of fault. Rather they require proof of defect. Products can be considered defective due to flaws in the product design, inadequate warnings or instruction for use, or due to improper manufacture.
- Premises liability
Property owners are required to maintain their land, buildings, structures, and surrounding areas to certain standards. Property management companies, maintenance companies, snow removal companies or others may also have liability if they fail to safely maintain property, structures or equipment. Negligence in maintaining property can lead to dangerous conditions and cause serious events, such as falls, fires, explosions, and drowning. Often the property owner has a heightened duty to protect persons invited on their property from such risks.
If you suffered personal injuries due to negligent conditions, it is important that you find the right attorney to protect your interests. The attorneys at Burg Simpson are experienced in handling complex litigation due to negligent property conditions.
- On-the-job injuries
Most injuries that occur at work will be covered by worker’s compensation laws of that state. However, in limited situations state law may permit a claim for personal injury based upon intentional actions of your employer or another employee. To obtain further information about employee intentional tort claims, contact the attorneys at Burg Simpson to help determine your rights.
What Is My Claim Worth?
While there is no set claim value, Burg Simpson lawyers evaluate several factors to estimate the value of your personal injury claim. Such factors that may affect the value of your claim include:
- The nature and extent of your injury and the costs of your medical treatment
- The degree of fault of the party causing the injury, and the determination of whether you share a portion of fault
- The potential economic loss sustained by you, based on your work history, salary, your ability to return to work, and extent of any disability
- The potential for future medical care and other life care needs
- Whether you have pre-existing medical conditions
What Can I Expect by Contacting Burg Simpson about My Personal Injury Claim?
- Objectivity. Our lawyers provide objective advice on the merits of your case, helping you decide what to do each step of the way. For example, if you’ve been tempted by an offer of quick settlement, our Cincinnati, Ohio personal injury attorneys may counsel you that it’s in your best interest to fight for a better result.
- Red Tape. Our Cincinnati, Ohio personal injury lawyers will help you through the maze of paperwork to resolve your claim—so you can get on with your life.
- Expert Investigation. We work with a team of investigators and consultants with expertise in catastrophic personal injury litigation. We will skillfully investigate the technical aspects of your case, and provide expert opinions to create the backbone of your case.
- Experience. Our lawyers regularly work with insurance companies and their lawyers. We will not be intimidated by their tactics or feel pressured to settle for an unsatisfactory amount.
What Steps Should I Take Following a Personal Injury?
- It’s always a good idea to contact a lawyer for a free consultation to verify whether or not you have a potential case. This is especially important in cities like Cincinnati, where the laws can change within a few miles, depending on which state you live or where the harm occurred.
- Contact an attorney before it is too late. Keep in mind that there are laws that set time limits for when you can file a lawsuit. The limitations period may change depending on where you live or where the event occurred. For example, Ohio and Kentucky have different deadlines for filing claims. These limitations periods have many exceptions and nuances. Therefore you should not try to determine on your own if it is too late for you to file. You should speak with counsel who is experienced in evaluating these issues.